Pre & Post Treatment Care
Injectable Pre-Treatment Guidelines
We look forward to seeing you for your injectable treatment and have a few tips to help reduce possible side effects. Whilst side effects are minimal, following the guide below will minimise your risk of unwanted bruising and swelling.
- Please ensure you eat something on the day of your appointment, as this will reduce your risk of becoming light-headed during treatment and post-treatment.
- Wear minimal or no makeup as it will be removed before your treatment. This is to reduce the risk of infection.
- To reduce risk of bruising:
- Avoid taking aspirin, paracetamol, ibuprofen or gingko biloba for at least 24 hours before your treatment. (if your aspirin is for a medical condition DO NOT cease usage without permission from your doctor).
- Avoid taking Omega 3's (fish oil, krill oil) and Vitamin E supplements for 1 week before treatment.
- Avoid drinking alcohol for 48 hours before your treatment as this increases your risk of bruising.
- If you do bruise easily, booking your appointments outside of the dates of your menstrual cycle can help minimise this risk as well.
- It is best to schedule your treatments minimum 1-2 weeks before a major social event and/or air travel. Although the chance of bruising and swelling is minimal, anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers tend to look their best 2 weeks+ after treatment.
Injectable Post-Treatment Guidelines
Here are our helpful tips to help your healing along as quick as possible.
- Avoid applying makeup for at least 1 hour after your treatment. When you do apply makeup for 48 hours+ post treatment, please ensure you are using clean brushes/makeup sponges so you can avoid risk of infection.
- Do not engage in vigorous exercise for 24 hours after your treatment as this can lead to increased swelling.
- Avoid drinking alcohol for 48 hours after your treatment to minimise swelling.
- Take an anti-histamine like Claratyne or Telfast immediately following treatment to reduce swelling. You can take this in the following days as well if acute swelling is still present.
- Avoid rubbing or applying pressure to the treatment area for 24 hours after treatment. Avoid deep pressure for long periods of time, like face down in a massage table, for 2 weeks post treatment.
- Avoid extended exposure to the sun 2 weeks after your treatment and ensure you are wearing SPF to keep skin protected.
While you may experience no side effects at all, other side effects some patients may experience include:
- Firmness or what appears as "lumps" but will subside in 2 weeks as your filler settles
- Swelling, with acute swelling for 48 hours after treatment and full swelling subsiding after 2 weeks
- Asymmetry can be common within 2 weeks of treatment as swelling subsides if it persists as you near/beyond 2 weeks post treatment, please contact us to book in for a review
- Bruising and tenderness at the treatment site
IMPORTANT: If you experience extreme pain (the intense type of pain that keeps you from sleeping) tingling, blistering, itching and or discolouration (usually white or blue) you must contact the clinic immediately on 03 9908 3737 and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with photos of what is occurring/the concern and we will get back to you immediately.